Acadia National Park is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been to! We stayed in Bar Harbor about 10 minutes from the park at Open Hearth Inn. While we honestly didn’t do much research or planning beforehand, I do have a few suggestions. We started our time in the park by stopping at Hulls Cove Visitors Center to pick up a map before heading on the Park Loop Drive.
- Reserve your entry pass in advance
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes (layers are preferable)
- Pack a lunch, snacks and drinks as options are limited
- September through early October are said to be the best time to visit the park
- Hot spots to see in the park: Cadillac Mountain, the Park Loop Drive, Sand Beach, Jordan Pond to name a few
- Try a famous popover at Jordan Pond Restaurant
- Watch the sunset at Bass Harbor Lighthouse (This can be a very popular experience so get there early to parking and a good spot)
- Bar Harbor Whale Company offers whale watching tours throughout the year
We sadly only had one day in the park but could’ve easily spent 3 or 4 days! We also enjoyed strolling through downtown Bar Harbor. There were lots of cute shops and places to eat! We dined at Side Street Cafe. Side Street had a fun atmosphere, kid-friendly menu and don’t miss the Roasted Crab Dip! They didn’t take reservations but we were able to walk around the town while we waited.
We can’t wait to go back to the park again! Until then, enjoy these beautiful views.