As a mom and a personal trainer, I’m constantly looking for ways to get a good workout in without disrupting our nap time, meal time, and play time schedules. There are so many legitimate roadblocks that can get in the way of getting out of the house and into the gym, so I thought I’d share some of my pro tips for setting yourself up for success for at-home workouts!
1. SCHEDULE IT! Moms are SO good at carefully crafting schedules around our little ones’ needs, so why do we sell ourselves short? This may be the easiest, and most important tip, but schedule your workout into your day to ensure it gets done. Oh, and set several alerts to ensure it’s top of mind!
2. LOOK THE PART! This one may sound a bit strange, and even unnecessary, but having the right workout wear will not only enable you to have a more comfortable workout, but it can actually motivate you as well. These are my absolute favorites, and have been for years!
3. BE EFFICIENT! Aside from our children, there is nothing more precious to a Mom than time! This is why I swear by efficient workouts in the form of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), specifically tabata drills. Tabatas (named after a Japanese Olympic figure skating coach who developed the method) have been proven to be the most efficient and effective intervals out there. The beauty of this type of training is 3-fold: 1) You tailor the workout to YOUR highest intensity 2) The work intervals are :20 seconds long, so they’re short enough to see the light at the end of the tunnel the moment you start 3) Tabatas encourage your metabolism to work at a faster rate, meaning a greater number of calories burned, ultimately resulting in QUICK workout! Below is a breakdown of exactly how to perform a single tabata. The key is the you’re giving it your all during the :20 second work segments!
4. EQUIP YOURSELF! Although you’re working out from home, it’s helpful to have some equipment on-hand that you’d find at at gym. A few sets of dumbbells in different weights, a good yoga mat, and a stability ball in the form of a yoga ball or bosu trainer can go a long way. Having these tools set out in your designated workout space (aka-living room, front porch, back yard, etc) will help to ensure you get your workout in during the time you’ve already scheduled for yourself. Having a few exercise tools will also help to keep your workouts interesting and challenging, helping you to avoid the dreaded plateau.
5. BLAST THOSE TUNES! Whether you have an amazing playlist loaded on your iPod, Spotify blasting from your laptop, or a good ol’ FM radio tuned to your favorite station, the right music is crucial to a successful workout! There’s tons of research to support the psychological need for music to help motivate you and make your workout more effective. And who doesn’t like an impromptu dance party in the middle of a sweat sesh?? I personally love the pre-made workout playlists on Spotify!
6. BE DYNAMIC! This tip goes hand-in-hand with being efficient. In order to achieve the most effective workout, you’ll need to exercise as many muscle groups as possible during your allotted workout time. Make sense? So, the more dynamic you can make your movements, the better. Think about a burpee. It’s made up of the following exercises: squat, hop, plank, push up, and jump. That’s as basically 5 exercises in 1! And, the thing I love most about dynamic exercises is that they can easily be modified, allowing you to track your progress as you become more and more able to perform the moves full out!
7. JUST DO IT! Be like our friends at Nike and Just Do It! If you’ve properly prepared yourself with the tips above, squeezing in a 30-minute workout should be a breeze. And on the days when it’s not, give yourself some grace and get moving tomorrow! I’ve put together a 10-minute circuit that, when repeated once, and paired with a 3-minute warm up and cool down each, you’ve got yourself that half-hour workout. So, give it a try and give yourself a big pat on the back for making your health a priority today!
If you’re unfamiliar with any of the above exercises, follow me on Instagram @nourish_fitness and search the hashtag #tnmworkout!
Stay tuned for more at-home workouts and let us know if there’s anything you’ve been dying to try so we can give it a whirl with you!