Y’all, I was slated to publish a fun craft post this month. I had this great idea (that I can’t divulge just yet because I still plan on doing it!) and was all set to make it happen, until I started gathering my DIY supplies. Can we all agree that the word chaos just isn’t strong enough sometimes?
This has been my DIY life for the last…oh, let’s say 3 years. (That’s a fair estimate that won’t having you feeling too sorry for me, I hope.) My glue gun was in one place, the glue sticks in another. I had a suitcase full of crepe paper and an old wine box full of jewelry findings. My coat closet had become a final resting place for scrap paper that I convinced myself I’d use again and my gift wrapping supplies somehow made their way into the entertainment center. Chaos, I tell you. Chaos.
So, instead of dazzling you with my crafting skills, I thought I’d share some DIY organization tips that have helped calm my crafting chaos.
- Get it ALL out! This step is the hardest one, but most crucial. Dig into all those dark crafting corners and pull out all your supplies. This will also serve as a small intervention if you’re a DIY hoarder. It’ll be good for you, I promise.
- Categorize it! Make yourself a good ol’ fashioned paper list. As you sift through all of your supplies, write down the obvious categories that stick out, then place everything in corresponding piles.
- Contain it! Here’s a little tip for you. Go to the dollar section at Target and go buck wild. There you will find all sorts of containers that can house your buttons, confetti, and other super important pieces of a fulfilling life.
- Put it back in ONE place! Whether it’s a sturdy box or an entire walk-in closet, be sure to put all of your DIY supplies in ONE place. This will allow you to have a handle on your supply inventory, saving you lots of time and money!
- Label it! After everything is in its place, label it. Now you’ll know, at a glance, where you put that double sided tape and stash of thank you notes.
- Use it! Perhaps that most important part of this whole process is that you actually use your DIY supplies. I’ll share a fun project next month to bring this DIY organization full circle!
Have an organizing rule of thumb that you live by? We’d love to hear about it!