I realize that everyone is crazy busy right now, and the thought of adding one more thing to your To Do list makes you cringe. But, the kids are out of school Friday, and you just may be looking to find things for them to do and give back a little in the meantime. We’ve rounded up a few ideas for ways to get the kids involved with giving back.
- There are canned food drives going on all over the city. Second Harvest has more information on ways to help also.
- Take cookies to the church office (where they may feel more comfortable) or even the fire station.
- Some fun, quick ideas: Tape quarters to vending machines. Tape money on the back of foods at a grocery store to cover cost of the item. Give hot chocolate to bell ringers in front of stores. Make dog biscuits and take to a local shelter.
- Take items from their Wish List to Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital.
- Send holiday cards made by them to Military members. Ask around to see if you have a friend that knows someone who is serving (I have a couple if you want them). You can no longer send cards to “Any Service Member”.
- Take a box of diapers to Nashville Diaper Connection or help out by sorting diapers to be delivered to mothers.
- Buy an extra Contributor this month.
- It’s always a good, and easy, thing to have the kids help you sort and give away toys. Plus, it clears out some before Christmas gifts arrive. You can take the toys to a Goodwill drop off, ask your church if they need them for the playrooms, or see if you can connect with a family in need.
- Don’t forget the elderly! Have the kids put together nursing home care packages or take blankets and visit with them.
- Donate clothes to those in need. Nashville Rescue Mission is always a good place to take them.
- If you are looking to donate any sort of items, Hands On Nashville has a pretty extensive list of who needs what.
- Make sure your kids see you giving. Actions speak louder than words.
Many of these ideas can be done at any time of the year, so if your schedule is just too full right now, try again after Christmas. :)
Did we miss something? Share in the comments and I’ll add it to our list!