Spring has sprung and it’s time to pack away the sweaters and scarves and trade them out for outfits made perfect for park playing and backyard BBQs. Whether you have a trip planned or are going to take advantage of all the warm weather activities in Nashville, get ready for the season with these Spring style basics for kids.
These six items, which make great staples for boys and girls are great to keep in your kiddo’s wardrobe. They can be dressed up, dressed down and worn throughout Spring. The best part? Each item pictured is affordable. Kids are dirty and messy little creatures, so I’m not going to tell you to spend a fortune on something that is going to end up covered in mud, ketchup and chocolate!
- Chambray shirt. Pair it with khaki shorts for a special occasion outfit for a boy or bright leggings and a headband to dress it up for a little girl. Chambray is great because it can be worn a little wrinkled, which makes it a great add to your suitcase. I found this OshKosh brand one from Target for $12.99.
- Colorful rock star tee. In Nashville your wardrobe isn’t complete without a few band T-shirts. Country, rock and roll or classic rock, these shirts can make for one cool kid when worn with shorts, jeans or leggings. I love how this tee is also a hoodie which would be great for the beach as cover-up. I picked this one up at Target for $9.99.
- Colored pants. Add a pop of color with bright pants. Dress them up with a ruffled top or button down or add a plain tee for a more casual look. I found these at H&M for $9.99.
- Leggings. Funky leggings are pretty much my go-to when dressing my son, so I love to collect multiple pairs of them to wear with t-shirts and hoodies. Little girls can wear them under dresses or with a jean jacket for a more feminine look. Unfortunately leggings can run you $30-40 per pair, which can get rather expensive, so I save money by purchasing PJ sets where the bottoms can double as pants. This will run you $10 or so for the entire set, especially if you shop sales. Carter’s usually has great options and can be purchased online or at places like Target and even Costco.
- Local tee. I love wearing things that you can’t get at your average retail chain, so I like to keep a few things like that in my son’s wardrobe. Nashville has some great options for kid’s T-shirts, including this Nashville Kid onesie (also sold as a shirt) that we obviously adore. Check out our post about Nashville-made toddler tees for more great places to shop.
- Sneaks. I love, love, love these shoes from i play. They are a replica of the popular Native shoes, which are adorable, but about $15-30 more expensive than the i play version. These shoes slip on without laces or velcro and are so convenient for warm weather. You can find them in a few colors on Amazon for around $12.
This should be a great start to a Spring wardrobe that can go from play to special occasion without investing too much of your vacation savings. Just add a few accessories and you have a mini kid’s capsule to last the season!
Shop some of our favorite Spring styles! (contains affiliate links)