In an effort to be totally transparent, can we all just agree that there is a definite “mom uniform”? It’s not yoga pants and a tri-blend heather gray v-neck for ALL of us (although I’m pretty certain it is for a good 98% of us), but we all do have a uniform. As much as we love keeping up with the latest trends, crop tops and hot pants just don’t seem to cut it for us like they used to. At least not for me…but I digress.
So, what’s a fashion-forward-time-deficient-mess-dodging mama to do when summer’s easy tank tops and jean shorts have to go into storage? I mean, it’s no easy feat to get your boots, scarves, layers, sweaters, and skinny jeans all working together each day!
Well, I’ve come up with some hacks for you! Considering I spent most of my life in Florida, the land of the never-ending summer, I’m well versed in creating a fall vibe without having to actually don the latest fall trends. So, here are my fall fashion hacks for moms!
1) Update your hair color! There’s no better way to refresh your look for fall than with some warmth in your hair color. Whether you’re going from platinum blonde to deep honey or from jet black to autumnal auburn, there’s a ton you can do with your hair color to instantly update for fall. All you need is a simple Pinterest search and you’ll be on your way!
2) Update your nail color! This one is another easy fix for fall. Both OPI and Essie (my two go-to nail color brands) come out with new line ups each season. There is no way to go wrong here, and it will feel like fall is in the air as soon as your top coat sets!
3) Update your lip color! There’s just something about lipstick that makes me feel put together. I can be a total mess from the neck down, but with the right lip color, I feel like a million bucks! So, put away the coral and pick up a nice aubergine for an immediate nod to fall!
4) Update your accessories! I’m a self-proclaimed accessory hoarder and I’m not afraid to admit it! Fall is the perfect time to bust out anything in your collection that’s made of leather, wood, or anything else earthy. Gold is my go-to precious metal, but if you’re not on the Mr. T bandwagon like I am, I encourage you to give it a shot!
5) Update your uniform! Here’s where we put it all together. We all know that there are days that come along where we need to look a little pulled together, so that’s where your fall uniform comes in. What you want is something you can put on in a snap, be comfortable spending the day in, and easily launder it and tuck it away in your closet for the next day you need to look like a functioning human adult. Mine? It’s always a variation of my favorite dark skinny jeans, a well-worn chambray button down, and either leopard print sneakers or suede booties depending on just how fancy I need to be.
So, there you have it: my fall fashion hacks for mom!
What are your staples when fall rolls around? We’d love to know!