A dual American and British citizen, Myka has studied at traditional etiquette schools in the United Kingdom and even trained in London under a former member of The Royal Household of Her Majesty the Queen. Meier has worked with members fo the British Royal family, global CEOs, corporations, celebrities and has also a consultant on The Today Show.
Myka lives in New York with her Swiss husband and daughter. Tune in to hear us talk all things etiquette. You can also follow along with Myka on Instagram @mykameier
Here are some etiquette tips that Myka from Town and Country.
- The true meaning of etiquette is always to show respect and kindness to everyone around you.
- Use please, thank you, and excuse me every day.
- How to hold your silverware correctly.
- How to properly use a napkin to wipe your mouth. (No sleeves!)
- How to chew with your mouth closed.
- No elbows on the table … ever!
- Never interrupt an adult when they are speaking to someone else.
- Never comment on someone’s appearance unless it’s to say something nice.
- How to give a compliment to someone else.
- How to write a thank you letter.
- You must always help someone in need, particularly if they are less able than you are.
- How to introduce yourself and others properly.
- Be aware of positive body language and how to show it.
- Never to call an adult by their first name unless the adult instructs them to do so.
- Always knock on a door before opening it.
- How to answer a phone politely.
- How to make eye contact when speaking to another person.
- Don’t point or stare.
- Always cover your mouth when sneezing or coughing.
- How to invite someone to join a group if they are alone.