Explore the Electric Guitar and Johnny Cash
- Wednesday, June 16th from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Country Music Hall of Fame Zoom
- Learn about the electric guitar through the music of Johnny Cash. Johnny Cash’s musical career began in Memphis when he was signed to Sun Records. His first recordings showcased his songwriting and the rockabilly sound of his band, The Tennessee Two, made up of Luther Perkins on guitar and Marshall Grant on bass. In this program led by museum educator Adam Ollendorff, participants will learn “Folsom Prison Blues,” including Perkins’s solo and “boom-chicka-boom” rhythm guitar style. Ollendorff has toured and recorded with Kacey Musgraves and John Oates. Recommended for ages five and up, but all are welcome. A guardian or adult is required to be present for children under thirteen. Register here.
Lawn Chair Theater
- Saturday, June 12th (Movie begins at 8 p.m.)
- Behind Leiper’s Creek Gallery and Pucketts in Leipers Fork
- Free event with the showing of Raya and the Last Dragon in this dreamiest setting! Bring a blanket or chair to enjoy! Fork of the South will be selling burgers, hot dogs, lemonade, popcorn, cotton candy, chips and vintage candy. This is a fundraiser for Leiper’s Fork Helping Hands.
- Every Thursday in June beginning at 5 p.m. and movies start at sundown around 8 p.m.
- Elmington Park
- FREE event with a movie, food truck vendors, games and giveaways. This week’s movie is Little Women.
- Thursday, June 10th through Sunday, June 13th
- First Horizon Park
- Cheer on our hometown team!
- Saturday, June 12th; Sunday, June 13th; Saturday, June 19th and Sunday, June 20th
- Bass Pro Fishing (Opry Mills)
- Bass Pro Shops founder Johnny Morris is challenging families to put down their digital devices and get outside this summer to discover the joys of fishing. The nationwide movement, Gone Fishing, features two weekends of free, family-friendly activities June 12-13 and 19-20 at Bass Pro Shops in Nashville. Free, family-friendly activities include:
- Free Catch-And-Release Ponds: Kids can experience the excitement of fishing at in-store catch-and-release ponds and earn an FLW (Fishing League Worldwide) “First Fish Certificate” to celebrate the achievement. (11 a.m.-4 p.m. local time)
- Free Fishing 101 Guide: Free copies of Nibbles & Bites teach the fundamentals of fishing and provide tips on best local fishing spots. The informational guide is available while supplies last.
- Free Giveaways & Take-Home Crafts: After completing the catch-and-release pond, kids will receive free take-home crafts and giveaways while supplies last.
- Friday, June 11th; Saturday, June 12th and Sunday, June 13th
- Centennial Park
- An annual free concert with live music, food vendors, local artisans, a children’s area and Musicians Corner Pub featuring beer, wine and cocktails. Family-friendly, dog-friendly and open to the public.
Sean Kenney’s Nature POP! Made with Lego Bricks
- Through Sunday, September 5th
- From acclaimed artist Sean Kenney and produced by Imagine Exhibitions, this exhibition features 38 sculptures made from more than 800,000 LEGO® Bricks. Inspired by the Pop art movement, Kenney’s work blurs the boundaries between austere and the everyday, drawing from a belief that everything is interconnected. Sean Kenney’s Nature POP! Made with LEGO® Bricks explores the beauty of nature through highly stylized, colorful displays that stand in striking contrast with their surroundings. Presenting a playful spin on traditional sculptural art, this exhibition is an accessible experience for all ages designed to inspire visitors to create something wonderful themselves. Reserve your tickets in advance online.
- May 21st through September 6th
- Gaylord Opryland
- Celebrate summer with events for the whole family at Gaylord Opryland! Enjoy SoundWaves water attraction’s thrilling slides, lazy and rapid rivers, adult-only pools, and multi-level play structures that make this water attraction the perfect summer hangout. Throughout the resort you can enjoy other pirate and princess activities and fun seasonal events as you make this Summerfest one to remember.
- Thursdays through October 28th
- Live music and programming combining art and nature! Grab a drink from one of the bar stations and stroll through the Ann & Monroe Carell Jr. Family Sculpture Trail for a relaxing experience after a long day.