Cheekwood in Bloom: March 6th through April 11th
There’s no place more beautiful than Cheekwood in the spring as more than 150,000 blooming bulbs spill from the gardens creating a color experience you won’t forget. Snowdrops, crocus, hyacinths, daffodils, magnolias, redbuds, and dogwoods are also in on the act, putting on an unforgettable show as warmer weather and longer days arrive in Nashville. This year’s theme is Holland! Featuring three-foot bands of orange, red, yellow, and pink throughout the Color Garden accompanied by giant interactive windmills, visitors will feel like they have stepped into the tulip fields of Holland. The Cheekwood in Bloom display will also feature hyacinths, violas, and of course, the stunning Basham Daffodil Field. Reserve your tickets online here.
Join me, Faithfully Restored, Amy Connor Photography at Sugar Drop for Photos with The Easter Bunny, cookie decorating, goody bags, activities and more! Limited spots available. Register here.
- Thursday, March 4th
- Fifth and Broadway
- Fifth + Broadway officially opens on March 4th, 2021! Experience Nashville like never before at more than 30 restaurants and shops on Broadway. P.S. These shops and restaurants will have various activities and promotions for their individual grand openings, so don’t miss out on the fun!
- Through August 1st
- Frist Museum
- One early January 2020 morning, artist Woke3 stepped out of his home in North Nashville to find the remains of a car engulfed in a raging fire. He interpreted the blaze as a premonition of the year to come. No one, however, imagined what 2020 would ultimately bring to his neighborhood, the city of Nashville, and our nation. Woke selected videos, which feature spoken word, dance, and music, and photographs to share how his creative community is processing the year’s seismic events—from a devastating tornado on March 3 to a car bomb exploding on Christmas morning—and offering a path forward. Experience this virtual event free.
Nashville Ballet Events
Carnival of the Animals Story Time: (March 6 & 20)FREE virtual event, advance registration requiredSign up here: https://bit.ly/3pJYu55Join a Nashville Ballet teaching artist for an exciting journey through the jungle! Meet wild and whimsical characters through the eyes of a lion as we read through Carnival of the Animals. This journey ends with a joyous celebration when the lion learns that we are basically all the same on the inside, but it’s our differences that make life so fun.
Virtual Family Day Info: (April 23-25)
Buy tickets here: http://bit.ly/3b7JPwc
Join us for Family Day– a virtual experience chock full of ballet stories, crafts, and activities guaranteed to spark imaginations and get your little ones moving. Curated to engage active minds, Family Day includes over four hours of virtual on-demand content that children can enjoy anytime (and as many times as they want!) throughout the weekend.
Ideal for ages 4-8.
Virtual Family Day includes:
- A performance of Ferdinand the Bull, featuring trainees from NB2. Join our dancers as they tell this sweet and funny story in a way the whole family will enjoy!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream Story Time: Follow along as a Nashville Ballet teaching artist reads you the story of the ballet, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, based on William Shakespeare’s famous play. Afterwards, stick around for a fun movement activity inspired by the characters in the ballet!
- Crafts with Ms. Bernadette: Little ones will learn how to make fun crafts inspired by the props you’ll see in Ferdinand the Bull.
- Imagination Station: Guaranteed to stretch your body and mind, this is an activity the whole family will enjoy! Nashville Ballet Teaching Artist Shabaz Ujima puts you in charge of this high energy and crowd favorite game as you create movement responses to different music and imagery. With each child taking turns, you’ll experience something new each time you play!
- Join local bookstore Parnassus for a fun reading of The Story of Ferdinand, by Munro Leaf. This children’s classic inspired the ballet of Ferdinand that you’ll be able to watch throughout the weekend. Afterwards, stick around for a virtual tour of their creative Children’s section and a surprise visit from the shop dogs!
- Adventure Land: Birds, beasts, and reptiles, oh my! Journey through the deep, dark, dancing jungle and explore how some of our favorite creature’s leap, glide, and pounce.
- Dance is All Around You: Using the crafts created with Ms. Bernadette and some other household favorites, children will enjoy exploring how to move with props! A Nashville Ballet faculty member will show you how dance is all around you.
- Scavenger Hunt: We’ve hidden objects for you to find in each of our virtual activities! Solve the riddles located in your program for clues to find each hidden item. Combine your items in a drawing and submit your masterpieces to our Facebook event page to be entered for a chance to win a FREE School of Nashville Ballet summer camp!
BONUS: Want to have all arts and crafts supplies prepared for you ahead of time? Purchase a Family Day goody bag from the Nashville Ballet Shop (LINK TO BE ADDED)! The goody bag includes materials for Crafts with Ms. Bernadette, an animal ear headband, a physical copy of Ferdinand the Bull, and more exclusive goodies.
Picasso. Figures, an exhibition from the incomparable collection of the Musée national Picasso-Paris, offers an in-depth look at Pablo Picasso’s career-long fascination with the human figure as a means of expressing a range of subjects and emotions. Featuring approximately 75 paintings, works on paper, and sculptures, Picasso. Figures makes its sole U.S. appearance in Nashville in the Frist’s Ingram Gallery from February 5 through May 2, 2021. Advance timed entry tickets for this exhibition are available. Reserve your tickets here.
Winterfest is happening at Gaylord Opryland now through March 21st! Activities include: At Pinetop outdoor village, there’s plenty of space for enjoying oversized winter light displays, live performances, tubing, ice skating and lessons, ice bumper cars, winter warmer beverages plus an all-new, live Fire & Ice Skating Show featuring champion skaters, big jumps, fast spins and awe-inspiring throws and lifts. Jack Frost’s Frigid Finds Scavenger Hunt where kids and adults become real-life explorers as they navigate the resort for clues to earn a special prize. Travel down our scenic indoor river for the Winter Riverboat Ride in the 4.5 acre Delta atrium ∙ The Wildlife Rescue Experience presented by bubly™ guides guests throughout the resort to track down endangered species and help ensure that they are monitored for their protection. The free adventure highlights indigenous animals from Colorado and, with the magic of augmented reality, brings them to life before the participants’ eyes. Private carriage rides The resort’s famous Magnolia lawn holiday lights display will remain in place through March 21 for a wintry evening stroll ∙ Other free activities include a movie theatre, Winter Animal Encounters, selfie spots, and self-guided hotel tours