We love going on day trips, road trips, camping trips, shopping trips…you name it! We like trips around here! I think it’s fun visit new places (especially kid friendly places). I’m going to tell you all about one of my favorite places- the good news is that you can get there and back with one tank of gas (hence, One Tank Trip).
Situated about 150 miles northwest of Nashville, a little town named Metropolis sits on the banks of the Ohio River. Just across the Kentucky border into Illinois, the sweet community of Metropolis is very visitor friendly and though small has lots to offer out-of-towners. From miles of picturesque biking/walking trails to Harrah’s Riverboat Casino, a BBQ Festival, a Superman Celebration (everyone should experience this event at least once), and Fort Massac’s Encampment there’s plenty to do that each member of the family will enjoy
Kid Friendly Attractions:
- Super Museum – has TONS of Superman and other Hollywood memorabilia. Go early in the day to have the place to yourself!
- Fort Massac State Park – 1,500 acres of rambling hills and history from the French & Indian War
- Superman Statue – a 15 foot Superman in the heart of downtown
- Ribbons and Beaus – upscale kids boutique (Mustard Pie, Giggle Moon, Livie + Luca, Persnickety)
- Silver Collection – a century old grocery store has been transformed into a one stop shop
- 6th and Vintage Marketplace – expertly curated, unique finds from clothes to home goods
- White Lili Boutique – women’s boutique clothes with a surprisingly urban flare!
Other Shops Worth Mentioning:
- Dress It Up Boutique
- Twice As Nice Consignment
- Leaps & Bounds Children’s Consignment
- Friends & Co. (Antiques and Home Goods)
- Massac Nursery (plants of all sorts! amazing variety and prices that’ll knock your socks off)
Grab a Bite:
- El Tequila – Traditional Mexican (get the Chicken Fajita Nachos)
- Bill’s BBQ – Southern BBQ with a great housemate sauce!
- Fat Edd’s Roadhouse – Restaurant and Bar with great salads, burgers and awesome salads
Where would you head on your one tank trip?