My oh my, does time fly! My little Harvey girl is already 3 months old. She’s changed so much in these last 12 weeks. Almost every week, I feel like I have a new “must have” for her. I’m so glad to be able to share with you my Top 10 list of Newborn Essentials. These items have saved my life during these first 3 months. I hope you find them helpful!
It was hard to narrow my list down to 10. This list is stuff I use daily beyond the basics like a crib, car seat and basic clothing.
10. Nursing Cover If you plan to breastfeed make sure you get one of these! I didn’t until Harvey was about 8 weeks old. Man, is life much easier now. The bib style is what I use and I highly recommend it.
9. Burp Cloths I did not have enough of these. I’d recommend getting at least 12. Babies like to spit up and they come in handy if you plan to breastfeed. I’ll just say, things can get fairly messy across the board so make sure you have enough of burp cloths on hand.
8. Night Gowns You will be changing diapers like a mad woman. The gowns (with the open bottoms) make it easy to get in and out without too much brain power. Snaps at 2am are not your friend.
7. Pacifiers These were invented for a good reason. I’d recommend the Nuk Newborn Advanced if you’re looking for one that resembles the breast.
6. Pack N Play with accessories. I used this as my bassinet the first month. Harvey could sleep next to my bed in her “cuddle seat” and when she needed a diaper change, just an arms length away I had a changing table. I will use this again next time!
5. Play Mat Around 8 weeks, Harvey really changed and became more alert. A play mat is a great way to stimulate her brain and keep her entertained while I do something normal, like eat lunch.
4. Carrier I have the Baby Bjorn and the Solly Baby Wrap and I use both. I don’t think you can really go wrong on a brand. These are nice to have when your little one just doesn’t want to be put down but you have things you need to get done.
3. Rock N Play This little Fisher Price item is common and for good reason. It’s easy to move throughout the house so your little one has a comfortable seat.
2. Music Toys / Sound Toys Harvey especially loves the sound of music. It’s our saving grace when she’s upset. The Baby Einstein Take Along Tunes comes in handy everything especially when we are at the store. Little toy rattles are a good alternative. I especially love this Oball because she can actually grab onto it and shake it.
1. A swing This has honestly been the one piece of advice I’ve found myself sharing with my pregnant friends. Get a swing! Babies love constant motion so either your arms will have to provide that 24 hours a day or it can come from a swing. We have the Graco Simple Sway. It vibrates, plays music and swings at 6 different speeds. It’s my best friend.
There you have it folks! I hope this list is helpful. There is so much to think about when becoming a new mom and so many items to get. Don’t worry one bit; you’re going to do awesome!
Tell us: What are/were your newborn essentials? Did your favorites make our list?