The past week has been very difficult for our country. The evil killings of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery and so many others over the years are inexcusable. I don’t have all the answers or words but I know that we are stronger together. Here are a few of my thoughts on ways we can do better.
- Listen to your African American friends, ask about their experiences and ask them how you can best support them
- Share a smile with others-you never know what that will mean to someone
- Random acts of kindness-buy the person behind your car’s coffee, leave a kind note or find a simple way to show you care
- Support African American owned businesses
- Speak up for others
- Openly discuss diversity and kindness with your children. Sissy Goff has some great questions to ask your children.
- Find diverse books, toys, baby dolls for your children. Here are a few book suggestions from
*I believe what words and actions overflow from the heart. While our words and what we share matter, what really counts is the way that we treat people, the way we extend grace, love and kindness. Our children are watching us and the ways that we model kindness to all people.